Catoctin Presbyterian Church PC USA Follow us on Facebook Twitter Watch us
  Home   About Us   Sermons   Calendar   Map   Directory   Youth   Donations  
Discovering Christ Belonging to Christ Serving with Christ

About Us

Welcome to the Catoctin Presbyterian Church! Founded in 1765, Catoctin Presbyterian offers a full range of Christian Education classes, a vibrant music program, participates in many local mission projects, and provides a wide variety of opportunities for fellowship and spiritual growth for residents of Waterford and western Loudoun County. We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the National Capital Presbytery.

To learn more about what we are doing, please check out our Calendar, Announcements, Dates to Remember, and our Good News newsletter!

Our History

Following closely on the heels of the Quakers who founded Waterford, Scottish and Irish Presbyterians migrated south from Pennsylvania into Loudoun County around the middle of the eighteenth century. It was these immigrants who founded Catoctin Presbyterian Church, one of the oldest Presbyterian organizations in Virginia.

The church was founded in 1765 when Amos Thompson was ordained as the first pastor of Kittocktin Presbyterian Church. Three years later, a plot of land two miles south of Waterford was conveyed to the church, and a log church was built on that site. Today no trace of the original church building remains, but grave markers bearing the date 1776 still stand on that site.

The land on which the present church stands was conveyed to Catoctin Presbyterian Church in 1814. A brick church was built between 1814 and 1833, and was used for worship intermittently until it was destroyed by fire in 1878. While the church was being rebuilt, the congregation met in the Baptist church across the street.

The church was rebuilt in 1882, using many of the bricks from the original structure. The fellowship wing was added in 1951; the basement of the fellowship wing was recently renovated, and further improvements are planned. The stained glass windows in the sanctuary were installed in 1952, replacing clear glass windows that had been covered with colored paper to simulate the look of stained glass. The large Moline cross was placed in the sanctuary in 1994. A modern heating and air conditioning system was installed in 1999.

Here are more articles about our history:

  • Catoctin Presbyterian Church Windows by Jane Piercy
  • History of Catoctin Presbyterian Church by Ellen Parks
  • Church In Colonial America - script by David Baxa
  • Church In Colonial America - slides by David Baxa

  • CPC

    Directions

    If you would like driving directions to our church, please click here!

    Contact Us

    Catoctin Presbyterian Church
    15565 High Street
    P.O. Box 195
    Waterford, VA 20197-0195

    (540) 882-3058
    (540) 882-4683 fax

    cpc@catoctin.org
    pastor@catoctin.org
    music@catoctin.org